Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sometimes you have to meet the other person halfway.

This morning a wise man  said something that stuck with me like a big bowl of oatmeal.  He said, "Charlie, sometimes people just have to meet halfway".  "Brilliant!", I thought to myself.  But Tom Hofstetter is a whole more brilliant than he is dim.

During our journey thru life with friends, spouses, life partners (if getting married is illegal) and CHILDREN people just have to meet halfway when the relationship is strained.   I have decided that halfway is 2 stomach flips or twists.  I find that the first stomach twist is to let you know you have started to head in the right direction down the halfway ramp.  The second stomach twist will serve you even better. Initially to confirm that you  are still  headed in the right direction and  then to give you "self amnesty".  That feeling that you have done all you could do, and you did enough to feel the discomfort.

Just because you come halfway, it does not mean that the other person will either meet you halfway or that the person is going to accept your overture or efforts.  The key here is for you to feel that you did everything you could do, and your stomach twists, turns or flips is proof that you did that very thing.  People are human, and humans are not perfect.  I like thinking I did all I could do, then a bit more, that makes me feel comfortable and at peace. If the relationship mends, I promise you will feel greater satisfaciton because you went the  extra stomach twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment